Join us on Saturday, January 27 as we learn how to dismantle the many structural inequities that plague our society. Race Forward and the Center for Social Inclusion are some of the best in the business at this kind of work and we are lucky to have them in Arkansas.
Things you will learn from this workshop:
- The history of structural racism and inequity baked into our laws and society. We like to tell ourselves a story that we are the land of opportunity and that the best and brightest always rise - but that is only part of our story.
- How bias affects us all and makes it harder to come together and solve challenges. To be human is to be biased, we all have them, but we need to understand those biases and how they impact our decision making so we can be more intentional about the community we want to build.
- How tackling institutional racism and bias is NOT a zero sum game. EVERYBODY benefits when we create more ladders of opportunity and more inclusive communities.
- How racism and other oppressions are spectrums — most decent human beings recognize and denounce the extreme end of racism manifest in the KKK and other hate groups. But racism, bias, privilege and oppression operates in every system in our society from education to land use policies.
- How we can talk about these issues in a diverse, inclusive setting with other social justice leaders, and how we can talk about these issues with the broader public to build a larger movement for social justice.
I want my children to inherit a society closer to our ideal of a land of opportunity for all.
This is a free event and lunch will be provided so please register today.